The Paralegal role is responsible for providing global legal and advisory support, and risk, compliance, corporate governance, and corporate secretarial services to the Company and its branches and subsidiaries .
The Paralegal develops creative solutions, integrates competing approaches into successful guidance to the business, and manages complex projects and tasks efficiently. The individual in this role must be able to make decisions independently, but also have effective cross-functional team leadership, and project management skills. The establishment of trusting relationships with peers and internal business partners, supported by ongoing communication and collaboration to provide seamless results, is essential to the role.
The Paralegal must stay current with industry trends, applicable law and regulation, technology, resources and best practices. They are responsible for managing and assisting outside counsel as needed.
The role will involve providing advice and recommendations to Corporate Affairs Counsel, the Manager, Corporate Affairs, senior management and internal business units as necessary on a range of Corporate Affairs matters including:
- risk, legal, regulatory, compliance, and corporate governance issues;
- contract review; and
- corporate regulatory filings.
Within the range of matters, the Paralegal will serve as a subject matter expert in support of strategic business initiatives.
For the avoidance of doubt, all legal advisory work is performed under the supervision of an attorney.
- Conduct contract review and legal research. This aspect of the role requires good judgment, including knowing when to raise questions of risk and compliance to a Corporate Affairs Counsel or others in management. This requires a strategic mindset, strong knowledge and a deep understanding of the business and processes as well as the ability to interact and maintain relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. This will require the individual be decisive and make well-reasoned recommendations. Liaise with and manage outside counsel on matter specific topics.
- Maintain and support the working relationships with all internal business partners (finance, client services, marketing, HR, etc.) and acting as an additional point of contact between these business partners and a Corporate Affairs Attorney or others in management.
- Take a leadership role with compliance initiatives. Conduct legal research, produce documentation as needed, and take a strategic approach to meeting and achieving compliance objectives, including ensuring that companies remain compliant with all applicable regulations and maintain appropriate and effective corporate governance
- Assist with strategic Corporate Affairs initiatives and projects, including providing training and education to internal business partners.
- Draft recommended corporate resolutions and related paperwork, for annual meetings, or as needed for banking, regulatory or transactional requirements. Assist in the preparation and filing of corporate documentation. Obtain appropriate notarizations, consulate seals. Maintain and track corporate filings. Perform associated general clerical duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Paralegal Studies
- More than 6 years of experience in a compliance or company governance / secretarial position, preferably in the insurance or financial services sector; or working as a paralegal in a litigation intensive environment.
- Background in corporate formation, registrations, governance, compliance and secretarial matters
- Background in litigation and preferably insurance-related litigation; the ability to gather information through interviews and document what is learnt.
- Background in real estate ownership, transactions and management; experience with general contract matters, corporate formation and governance.